Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartier creator of the first pilot watch?

Cartier creator of the first pilot watch??? was at Richemont waiting to collect my watch and flipping through some catalogues and one with Certier history says that Brazilian Aviator name Albert Santos-Dumont ask his frind Louis Cartier to built him a timepiece for flight in the early 1900's. would that mean Cartier made the first pilot watch?!! :o

Re: Cartier creator of the first pilot watch?

and i always thought it was Longines :|

Comment

I thought it was Longines too. I remembered seeing such claim in one of Longines ads....hope I am right here.

Comment

Originally posted by chuaks
        I thought it was Longines too. I remembered seeing such claim in one of Longines ads....hope I am right here.
        me too. from Longines adverts...Charles Lindberg commemorative edition or something... monsterous looking watch with huge onion crown.

Comment

Originally posted by javatalk
          me too. from Longines adverts...Charles Lindberg commemorative edition or something... monsterous looking watch with huge onion crown.
          more like huge watch with monstrous onion looking crown lah 8-)

Comment

well guys, it all depends on how u see a pilot's watch? History or function. Cartier can claim that the Santos is the first pilot watch because it was designed to be used as a wristwatch, hence freeing up Santos Dumont's hands to fly! Consider that from the perspective that watches in the 20's to 30's were predominantly pocket watches. Longines claim is cos lindberg designed a watch that can calculate long and lat!

Comment

you should be able to find out the answer to the 1st pilot's watch here with regards to Santos:
              viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4005

enjoy :-)

Comment

Collapse

Working...
              X